Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry Musical Christmas...

We gather round the rusty blue steamer trunk, serving double duty as coffee table and metaphorical campfire to the holiday family sing-a-along. Truly nothing captures my heart's yearnings more than the tunes which accompany the holiday season. Laden with years of memories, bubble-wrapped in sentimental packaging, these treasures travel with all wherever the years of nomadic living may take us. Be it an ode to the dreidel, a haunting accapalla rendition of "Silent Night", or a somewhat tragic tale of your beloved, tipsy granny being trampled by a reindeer, emotions involved in these musical compilations transport one to a place of rememberance. For myself, those sensations carry a contented, fuzzy blanket comfort, set free the inner glow which year upon year of wintertime festivities have kindled inside my sometimes dank heart.

I tend to be a cynic, am all too aware of the fact that sarcasm is my modus operandi when it comes to self-preservation and building barriers. Frequently, the "Christmas Carol" tune "I Hate People" blares on a loop through my brain as I navigate the sardine-can packed mid-town streets, using my over-sized totebag as both a sheild and lethal weapon. I truly don't desire to be ornery and constantly perturbed. Tis my aspiration to be kind and understanding of my fellow man, but lord almighty, it itruly a daunting task to remain chipper and cheery when caught in a perpetual game of Manhattan sidewalk shuffle.

Thus, the carol saves me. The haunting melody of "Oh Holy Night", the frolicking gait while on a "Sleigh Ride". Hallelujah for harmonies and Handel. When I find myself in perma-Scrooge mode, when every ounce of my being must fight the urge to let fly "Bah Humbugs" with abandon, the opening ding-dongs belonging to a certain "Carol of the Bells" flood the ear's inner sactum. My body becomes light with an uncharacteristic jubillance reminiscent of childhood hot cocoa slurping and slick sled runs down Rocky Mountain slopes. If the cheesy chintzy cheer of Yultide carols being sung by my famiglia choir is the dose of medication needed to turn a certain grumpy gal's frown upside down, then pour me a spoon full and keep it comin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment